Dental veneer procedure is similar to the dental crown process. It also requires 2 to 3 visits to finish the dental veneer procedure
Notice prior to dental veneer procedure
- Gum and teeth are in good condition. It is highly recommended that all oral problems be solved prior to dental veneer placement. Weak or unhealthy teeth, such as active gum disease or decay, or insufficient existing enamel, veneers may not be a good choice.
- Patients who are in the habit of grinding teeth are mostly not good candidates for dental veneer because there is high chance that the dental veneers are chipped, broken, fractured. Wearing protective mouthguard may be a good solution for you. Talk to your dentist if you grind or clench your teeth
- Although the tooth removal is not as much as that of dental crown procedure, dental veneer is typically an irreversible process.
- Dental veneer may loosen over time and it should be replaced with the new one
- Thorough consultation with your dentist about your desire and your situation is the best way to guarantee the dental veneer result. Make sure that you follow periodical check-up to maintain good health and strength of dental veneer
Porcelain veneer procedure at No1 Dental Clinic
In most cases, the dental veneer procedure is broken into 3 separate appointments. If you do not have much time staying in Vietnam, our dentist can help you shorten the process timeframe to match your schedule.
Step 1: In the first visit, the dentist examine and consult carefully
Step 2: Dentist takes impression of your teeth to make temporary veneers
Step 3: In the second visit, main process of dental veneer is carried out
- Tooth preparation to allow room for dental veneer.
A portion of the enamel of your tooth is trimmed off about the same thickness as the veneer that will be placed. This minimal preparation step tries to conserve as much of the natural tooth structure as possible, so the tooth is not dramatically changed. While performing the trimming, the dentist should keep in mind some recognized guidelines as to the maximum amount of enamel that ideally can be removed, and try to stay within those limits.
- Take impression after tooth preparation. The dentist also carefully selects the shade of veneer that best matches a patient’s teeth.
- Tooth impression is then sent to laboratory to be custom-made. Temporary veneer is placed to protect the tooth during the time the permanent veneer is fabricated
- Usually the needed time span between the two appointment is one to two weeks. In the third visit, the temporary crown is taken off, then the surface is cleaned. The dentist tries placing the veneer to have the thorough view on color, shape and the fit of veneer against the tooth. Minor adjustment may be involved. If dental veneer meets all requirement and the patient are satisfied, the permanent veneer is bonded with adhesive on the tooth.
- If the dental veneer is not qualified and needs more complicated fix, the veneer is sent back to the laboratory. Another visit is required to finish the dental veneer procedure.
Proper care after dental veneer procedure
- Dental veneer is prone to fracture, chip or breakage. Biting on hard objects like fingernails, pencils or ice should be totally avoided.
- It may requires a couple of days for you to get used to the existence of dental veneer in your mouth. If you experience abnormal feeling or have difficult in biting after placing dental veneer, you should visit the dentist
- Maintain daily oral hygiene by brushing and flossing properly after every meal to prevent development of tooth decay in the tooth beneath.
- Regularly visit your dentist every 6 months to have your porcelain veneers maintained