Apart from objective causes of pulpitis such as unexpected accident and injury, there are other subjective reasons leading to pulpitis that can be prevented to save your teeth.
Factors causing pulpitis:
- Improper oral hygiene practice or lack of oral hygiene maintenance. Patients who do not brush after meals or visit the dentist frequently are likely to present with pulpitis
- Too much sugary food intake such as soft drink or sweetened food causes tooth decay
- Chronic teeth grinding or clenching
Some simple and effortless ways to prevent pulpitis in early stage are listed as:
- Proper care for your teeth with sufficient brushing and flossing
- Visit your dentist at least once per 6 months for full checkup and professional cleaning. Professional cleaning helps your teeth get rid of dental plaque/calculus which is potential risk of tooth decay and pulpitis
- Balanced diet with more vitamins and minerals. You should avoid soft drinks, sweetened candies and cakes
- If you have bad habit of teeth grinding, you should consult with your dentist about the protective method such as mouthguard.